HOW WE OPERATE
Operated by Volunteers, Western Trails Alliance objective is to assist to plan, design and construct high-quality mountain bike trails for the community and land owners
In addition to this we donate funds to mountain bike clubs to fund community-run projects they are involved with.
- Planning and design is carried out by volunteers, using effective methods and documentation which delivers the necessary level of detail to meet the requirements of all parties.
- Funding is provided by Sponsors, the public and Grants. Because of the contributions to our work from Sponsors and Volunteers, the cost of delivering trails is a fraction of the normal commercial trail construction cost.
- Volunteers assist with the labour requirements in construction. We have established a network of volunteers willing to give their time to Community trail building projects. Volunteers receive training in safe work practices and trail construction principles. All volunteers are covered by volunteer workers Insurance.
- We work with a trail construction contractors that are willing to provide specialised equipment, services and expertise at cost.
The involvement of volunteers benefits everyone:
- Lower cost often means projects are possible which would otherwise not gain funding from other sources.
- A sense of ownership and community-building by the participants in the project.
- Input from riders and volunteers helps to ensure the trails match the current expectations of riders.
- Volunteers continue to be involved after completion of the initial project, with ongoing maintenance, fund raising, events and other activities.