Western Trails Alliance is run by volunteers. Our objectives are to assist with planning, design and construction of high-quality mountain bike trails for the community and land owners.
We also donate funds to mountain bike clubs to fund community-run projects they are involved with.
- Planning and design is carried out by volunteers, using effective methods and documentation which delivers the necessary level of detail to meet the requirements of all parties.
- Funding is provided by Sponsors, the public and from Government grants.
- Registered Volunteers assist with the labour requirements in construction.
- Volunteers receive training in safe work practices and trail construction principles.
- All volunteers are covered by volunteer workers Insurance.
- We work with experienced trail construction contractors that are willing to provide specialised equipment, services and expertise at or below cost.
The involvement of volunteers benefits everyone:
- The lower cost often means that projects are possible which would otherwise not have proceeded due to funding constraints.
- A sense of ownership and community-building by the participants in the project.
- Input from riders and volunteers helps to ensure the trails match the current expectations of users.
- Volunteers continue to be involved after completion of the initial project, with ongoing maintenance, fund raising, events and other activities.